Monday, August 17, 2009

Hot topics

I have often heard that one should not discuss religion or politics in mixed company or with those you wish to remain friends with. I think we should add the topics of global warming and environmentalism to that list. And here's why, some people are just stupid.

Now I will be the first to admit that I am a tree hugger and I will gladly admit that I don't know everything. Actually, there is a lot I don't know about global warming, carbon emissions, hybrid cars, and how all of this affects the economy. I may not be able to carry on the most intelligent conversation about what carbon dioxide is doing to our environment and our oceans or be able to spout out facts and figures at the drop of a hat but here's what I do know. I know that our energy grid is in dire need of an extreme makeover. Ty Pennington anyone? I know that other countries are way ahead of us when it comes to using green energy and building techniques. I know that there are changes happening on our planet that cannot be denied and we have to sit up and pay attention.

Now when I say some people are stupid I don't mean to be offensive but let's face it, it's true. Here is why I say this. I know some very intelligent people. The amount of brain power that some of these people have is impressive, however, you mention global warming or going green and you get this deer in the headlights look. It just makes me want to knock on their foreheads and go, "Hello! Anyone in there?".

Some people just don't care. Some people honestly don't know. Some know and are indifferent. To be honest, I'm not sure which is worse. We hear people whine about how it's too expensive to go green, they aren't interested, we can't fix the environment because it's too big of a problem. Well here's what I have to say about that, would you like some cheese with your whine? Come on people! We are Americans! We've gotten soft! It was tough people who founded this country, it was that forward thinking spirit that pioneered the wild west. In the past, when we faced a problem that seemed insurmountable, we pulled up our britches, dug in and figured out how to fix it! Why are we all sitting around now saying this is too hard and going to sit in a corner with a teddy bear?

Whether you believe global warming is real or not really isn't the issue. The issue is, it is becoming more apparent that we as a global society cannot continue to use and abuse as we have been. Fundamental changes have to be made is how we live, what we buy, and how we get the items we need. There are ripples of this being felt across the country. More people are interested in how to grow their own food organically, more people are turning to alternative sources of power, we are beginning to rethink how we build our homes and what we are putting into them. These are small steps but it is still not enough. Every person, and I mean EVERY person has to do something to help take care of the environment. Even if it's just switching to CFL's or LED lights. Every small step adds to the overall effect.

Education is key on so many levels. But when there is so much information out there and you try to educate someone and they still say, "Why should we reduce carbon dioxide emissions. Don't plants need carbon dioxide?" it just makes me shake my head and realize that some people are happier with their blinders on.

No comments:

Post a Comment